As the longest established tool hirer in the UK, we’ve been contributing to a circular economy long before it was popularised.
Working with our Supply Chain Partners towards Net Zero
Our business model is inherently sustainable because there is significant reduction in environmental impact when customers hire equipment rather than purchase their own. Reduced requirement for manufacture and effective fleet management and maintenance make the equipment rental industry a vital component in carbon reduction.
We source low-carbon products wherever practicable. Examples include:
- A wide range of corded and cordless electric power tools from Hilti. Electric tools generate lower emissions than their petrol equivalents over their lifetime and Hilti has excellent ESG credentials in delivering 99% recyclability and full Life Cycle Analysis (LCA)
- The latest range of cordless vibrating plates from Wacker Neuson, working with them to introduce lower emissions alternatives to petrol or diesel power for our customers
- Hydrogen powered lighting towers through specialist partners such as Taylor Construction Plant
- Battery powered plant equipment through rehire partners such as Green Power Plant
- Generator-free welfare units through rehire partners such as Liberty Guard
- Solar frames and hybrid generator units through rehire partners such as Nixon Hire
We strongly encourage our supply chain partners to provide full LCA data. Until this data becomes more widely available however, we focus on the use and associated transport carbon emissions which relate to Scope 3, categories 9 and 11. Wherever LCA is available, this information supersedes our in-house hybrid calculations.
In order to reach our ambitious ESG goals and grow sustainably, some of the key tenets of our strategy are:
- Where possible, sourcing more low-carbon products for our own hire fleet and via our rehire partner network
- Extending each product’s lifespan as much as practicably possible to encourage a circular economy
- Managing every product’s end-of-life responsibly, by recycling or sending equipment to auction for re-use
- Supplying low-carbon alternative fuel
- Reducing associated carbon for the transportation of goods, both upstream and downstream
- Promoting the responsible consumption of raw materials via process optimisation and closer collaboration with our supply chain
Helping customers to reduce emissions
The majority of our Scope 3 emissions derive from our customers using the equipment we hire to them. To help our customers manage and reduce emissions we have developed Bitesize Customer Carbon Reporting.
This pioneering tool enables our customers to track emissions from use of equipment hired from HSS and associated transport. Easy to understand dashboards make quick and easy analysis possible, giving them the ability to make informed decisions to reduce their emissions.